Promotional Video

Monday, January 14, 2008

The Money Tree

Times were bleak!

How life had changed so drastically from six years ago. Same time of year and I was so excited that my husband and I would be traveling to Australia to spend Christmas. Little did I know that upon our return my world would unravel as I lost everything I knew and loved - my marriage, my home, my career, my community, my friends, my car and my cat and dog.

Being fairly resourceful and tenacious I survived the changes and new people and situations came into my life, but the struggle had gone on too long. I had been plummeted and bounced about every which way. I’d had to declare bankruptcy and things were getting extremely tough.

Days were getting darker and shorter. Winter was fast approaching. My 53rd birthday was coming up the end of November followed by Christmas which held no joy for me.

I was grateful that a couple of friends remembered my birthday and wanted to take me out for dinner. Food was pretty skimpy around my apartment. The plan was for me to meet them at their house. I walked up the stone steps and rang the bell. “Come in”, a voice yelled. “I’m in the kitchen”.

The house appeared rather dark, gloomy and strangely quiet as I sauntered towards the kitchen. Suddenly light flooded the room and people jumped up from everywhere shouting “Surprise” and “Happy Birthday”. This was my first surprise party ever. I was stunned.

As I recognized faces I was overcome by emotion. These were all the wonderful souls who had come into my life the last few years as I encountered new circumstances and experiences. They had brought the most wonderful and thoughtful gifts. I received packages and cans of food, shampoo, toothpaste, necessities that were getting harder and harder to come by. And luxury items to lift my spirits – beautiful soaps, bubble baths, wine, chocolate and books.

And if that wasn’t enough I was presented with a tree branch sitting upright in a vase and taped to each branch were five dollar bills, tens and even twenties. I couldn’t believe it. I could pay the rent now. A large hand made card accompanied the money tree. Everyone had written words and messages of inspiration, encouragement, love and hope.

I will never forget this evening and all of those present. I believe this occasion marked the turning point for me as expressed by one of the messages on the card.

“Happy Birthday Kiddo! It’s uphill from here; I have great faith in you and your commitment to your journey. Love W.”

No comments:

All original content on payitforwardcomoxvalley © 2007 ValleyLinks