Promotional Video

Friday, August 3, 2007

Neighbours

We had recently moved to the Comox Valley and we didn’t know anyone except for my husband’s boss. One day, as we were puttering around the yard, a lady riding an old-fashioned yellow bicycle came into our driveway bearing fresh eggs and a warm, welcoming smile. Our new next door neighbour’s simple, informal act of kindness touched our hearts and helped us to feel even better about where we chose to live. The offering of a handshake, a smile, and an introduction were priceless to us. The eggs were a tasty bonus.

Over the years, our next door neighbour has continued to bestow acts of kindness upon us. I will never forget the night I was wracked with grief, just two weeks after my sister’s sudden death. My husband was away, our small children were asleep and I was distraught, having suddenly begun to feel the impact of my loss. With no family near, I called our neighbour. Over she came in her pyjamas. She made tea for us and she sat next to me on the sofa and held me as I cried and trembled. She slept on the sofa that night and was there to greet me in the morning. I am honoured to pay these acts of kindness forward at every opportunity.

anonymous

No comments:

All original content on payitforwardcomoxvalley © 2007 ValleyLinks