Promotional Video

Monday, October 1, 2007

Sweetheart Smile

I was dining out in Vietnam with my family. This ragged boy watched; he looked like he was 7. Some people in the restaurant either avoided eye contact with him, or shooed him away as if he was “just a dirty street boy.”

Finally, I stepped up. I offered the boy food but he declined it and inched away. Then he peeked over again from around the corner. I had intentions on handing these Canadian pins to younger relatives, but instead, I handed him one. I finally saw this sweetheart smile and his face glowed. After our meal, he followed us to the taxi and waved good-bye.

Later on, I was walking towards the beach. “Hey!”
I looked on my side and there was that adorable boy! He excitedly chatted with me. I learnt that this 7 year old boy was not 7, but he was 12! He was a very petite boy.

Another day, I was swimming, and guess who showed up. “I was the boy you handed the pin to! Remember?”
“Of course I remember!” I introduced my (younger) siblings to him. I explained to them how we met.

I was with my siblings at the park, and there he was again! He helped me pack them around and looked after one while I watched the other. He wasn’t shy anymore. He was the sweetest boy with full potential who never seemed to have been given the chance. I felt amazing knowing I made a difference in somebody’s life.

I hope that my siblings learnt from my actions and realize not to be ignorant, and stick up for those who are different.

No comments:

All original content on payitforwardcomoxvalley © 2007 ValleyLinks