Promotional Video

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Kindness is Global

Saturday - I Pedaled very, very slowly into El Salvador. About an hour into the ride, I stopped and asked a woman for some clarification on the roads I was meaning to take. She gave me the directions I needed, and than asked if Id like some water. I said yes. As we walked to her house near by, I was offered fruit. And then bread with a yogurt filling. These things were brought out to me by her son. I ate all very happily... as I hadn’t found breakfast yet that morning.I was then offered a shower. Being on my third day of crazy sweating while riding for hours in the sun, I definitely said yes.
They helped me bring my very heavy bike inside and gave me a towel. I showered. Wow, it felt really weird and awesome to be clean. I even rinsed out some of my clothing. After I showered, she offered to wash some of my clothes. I couldn’t bear to do that, they stunk so badly. (Maybe that’s why she offered) so I said no. Her son tried to track down a map of El Salvador for me by calling one of his friends, but it didn’t work out. As I was leaving, she gave me a big bag of mangos for later on in the day (they lasted me 3 days) and freaking US$5 which lasted me 2 days. Unfortunately I didn’t get her name, I should have. Ill be going back to visit her on my way back through El Salvador.

So, later that day, after buying an El Salvador tourist map I stopped for a break in a small town to change over my tire, which was progressively getting worse. A couple of people off the street (which turned out to be very awesomely bike savvy) helped me out, and the process of stripping down the gear off of my bike, wrestling with my overly large/heavy/burly rear rack, putting my decent front tire on the rear, putting the cheaply tire on the front, and getting it all back together took only half an hour. As I was loading the stuff back on to my bike an elderly woman (whom I guess had overheard the details of my epic adventure as I was talking to the people who were helping me with my bike) came out and asked if I was hungry. I said... Yes! She invited me inside, and her and her husband sat me down at a table where a very very tasty looking beautiful lunch had been laid out for me. I ate until my stomach hurt. Wow... food was so good. I still can’t really believe that two things like that happened in one day. And I wasn’t even staying the night! Her name is Edna Torres, from Turin, Ahuachapán, El Salvador.

I thanked these people so much, what an awesome experience to have while riding by yourself for a first time through a foreign country. That night, I found a guard shack that was watching over a horse ranch... or rather, they found me. I was wandering around with my bike looking for a quiet place to camp when a guy wandered up to me, with a shotgun in hand. He asked me what I was up to; I told him I was looking for a place to sleep. He offered me a bunk in his cabin with him and his son.I said... Sure!! It was awesome, apart from the bugs in my bed that were biting me all night. There was also one of the most violent storms I’ve ever witnessed that night... they lasted all night. I was happy to be inside.

My time is running out for today, but there 2 important things were said to me before I left on this trip, and I want to repeat them: Never give up and stop, and Never refuse help that is being given to you along the way.

I have refused help; someone offered me a ride in a car. And there was the clothes washing thing. But this trip has been so challenging and difficult at times, from all the heat and bugs and things... El Salvador has proven to be one of my favorite countries. I’ve had continuous amazing experiences with people being incredibly generous and welcoming, wherever I’ve gone.
I’ve had several experiences of people calling me into their houses off of the street, providing me with food, often showers... and on one occasion... money! It was $5US, but that bought my food for 2 days down here. I’ve also been sleeping for free, as I’ve found many safe places and homes to sleep with the tent that I bought. My life has definitely taken a big sharp turn - and I love every second of it.

........Tyler Walker, on his bike trip through South America.

No comments:

All original content on payitforwardcomoxvalley © 2007 ValleyLinks